This handbook has been prepared for our families of Summit Charter School. The 2021-22 Handbook will be available on August 9. Please be sure you familiarize yourself with the school policies, and refer to this handbook throughout the school year for any questions you may have regarding the Summit program.
Summit Family Association (SFA)
The purpose of the SFA is to enhance and support the educational experience at Summit Charter School, to foster the relationship with our Summit families through communication and inclusion, to improve the environment at Summit Charter School through volunteer and financial support, as well as coordinate and host family-oriented events.
All Summit families are members of the SFA; there is no membership fee. In the Parent Partnership agreement, families joining Summit agree to volunteer a minimum of 36 hours per family. SFA is instrumental in coordinating and hosting a variety of volunteer opportunities at Summit, both inside and outside the classroom including the Back to School Picnic, SummitFest fall festival, Summit's Got Talent production, and the Cinco de Mayo event. SFA is presided over by a Planning Team consisting of an elected executive committee and non-elected Team Chairs and Coordinators.
To contact SFA, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Supply List
With your support Summit's aim is to give your child all the tools they need to gain the confidence and skills to excel in life and service their communities.
Climbing Tower Waiver
Climb to the summit at Summit!
The Summit Climbing Tower is a fabulous educational tool and will serve the Summit community for many years to come. Thank you to High Hampton Resort and to all those who helped install this remarkable structure so that our Summit community can enjoy and be challenged by climbing.
Rock climbing and bouldering are ingredients to the larger activity of mountaineering. Typically bouldering and rock climbing are used to reach the summit of a mountain.
Bouldering and rock climbing have each developed into their own sport. Sport climbing is gaining ground as a competitive college and Olympic sport. Climbing is an incredible activity to continue throughout life because it provides so many valuable lessons for physical and mental development. Physically, climbing promotes flexibility, endurance, strength, and coordination. Mentally, climbing develops self-confidence, decision-making, perseverance, and trust.
Hopefully, the climbing experience at Summit will light a flame in all our students to create an active and healthy lifestyle and to take the 7 Virtues vertical! Summit students will have the opportunity to participate in climbing on the wall several times throughout the school year. Students need a signed waiver to be able to participate in Climbing Tower activities.
Summit's Bullying Policy
Summit Charter School believes that all students have a right to a safe and healthy school environment and does not tolerate behavior that infringes on the safety of any student.
Summit's complete policy on bullying is detailed below, as are the pledge against bullying taken by both parents and students and the form to report any incidents of bullying.
Our Bullying Policy
* All staff and parents will receive a copy of this policy prohibiting intimidation and bullying at the beginning of the school year or as part of new student orientation.
* The school will make reasonable efforts to keep a report of bullying and the results of investigation confidential.
* Teachers who witness acts of bullying shall take immediate steps to intervene. People witnessing or experiencing bullying are expected to report the incident; such reporting will not reflect on the target or witnesses in any way.
* Nature, severity, and number of occurrence(s) of the behavioral impact on the target
* Degree of physical, psychological, and social harm on the target
* Student’s age, development and degree of maturity
* Surrounding circumstances and context in which the incident(s) occurred
* Prior disciplinary history and continuing patterns of behavior
* Relationship between and among the parties involved
* Context in which the alleged incident(s) occurred